Episode 2 of the Web Series

A bit longer this time, but giving a rundown of what we’re planning on doing, and showing what had been done by the first weekend.

Episode 1 of our Web Series :)

OK, so the quality is terrible, the content is questionably interesting… but we have our first episode up. This is the walk through of the house as it was on settlement day. It really does highlight what low quality video my camera takes 🙁 One day we’ll have a HD camera… one day!


So, yesterday we had big family help. Belinda’s mum took Eibhlin for the day (she really is the most productivity sapping member of the family), and Belinda’s Dad & his partner (Helen, or Nanna Hutch to the kids) came and put in a huge effort painting.

Painted skirting boards

Painted skirting boards

So, thanks to all the help we now have the ceiling on three rooms and a hall painted and ALL the 130m of skirting boards done, 2 coats and all! So that is nice to have got a start on the painting as it’s a pretty huge task. Unfortunately, while there is a lot more to paint, not that much more can be done until the carpentry and plastering is done… which, fingers well and truly crossed, starts this week. (If not then there’s going to be cascade delay from that onto the flooring, and that would be bad.) (more…)

Prepping walls for painting

So… we’re painting the entire interior of the house, did I mention that? Putting a nicer colour palette on a house can make a huge difference for quite a small outlay. Paint for the entire house has cost us roughly $600, and that’s using good Dulux Wash & Wear stuff as we’ll be buggered if we’re going to have a wall ruined by one of the kids leaving a hand print on it or something equally mischievous.

Now, you could pay someone to then do the painting, but that costs thousands of dollars. If you have that money, all well and good, but we don’t… so it’s a job that’s fallen to us plus friends/family to do ourselves. Painting is not as easy as just covering a roller in paint and going to town, there are a number of steps to get a good result, and first of those is cleaning the walls.

You may look at the walls in a house and think ‘hey, they look pretty clean as is, surely paint will just go over that and it’ll all be good to go’, and you may be right for the most part…

However, what about portions of walls like this?

Loungeroom corner before clean

Loungeroom corner before cleaning


Lineal vs Square meters

So, when you get into buying wood and other such building materials, you’ll find that some things are quoted by lineal meter, and others by square meter. It can be a little hard to really envision the difference between these two types of measurement. So, maybe some photos might help 🙂 (more…)

Welcome to our house

So, here we are, work has begun on transforming this house from quite the run down, dated, hodgepodge of pieces into what we hope will be a fantastic family home for many years, and yet I haven’t properly introduced the house have I? How rude. Allow me to remedy that at once…

Front of house

Front of house, as it was advertised


Stumble at the first hurdle

So, the day of settlement is over, it’s real now, as we have the house, we’ve been in it, it is ours.

And the feeling of the potential this house has is stronger than ever, so I’m absolutely thrilled and excited by what it’s going to be. As it is, it has a lot of work, a lot… but that only makes it all the more rewarding in the end (I hope).

We took in the 130 linear meters of new skirting board we bought from the Trading Post, we set up a temporary entertainment area for the kids (tv/dvd player and toys) to try to occupy them during the times they have to be there while we are, and brought in the basics to be able to make something to eat/drink while we’re there.

And we waited for our 145sq/m of Tasmanian Oak floorboards to arrive.

And waited.

They were due between 3pm-4pm… it was 5pm, the woodyard wasn’t answering calls… I called my friend Ben to say his brawny assistance getting the boards into the house would not be required as it seemed they would not be turning up. We had dinner, pulled up some lino, pulled a mantelpiece off… but still no floorboards.

Floorboards at wrong house

Those are floorboards, this is the wrong house

We took the kids home to the rental and lo and behold… there were two large wrapped packages in the driveway which looked suspiciously like floorboards. But nooo, they couldn’t be.

Yup. They were. Not a lot of use at a rental, but there you go. Belinda called the woodyard and got through, and they wouldn’t admit any fault, so we were stuck with the wood where it was. Some more ringing around and Belinda found another driver who can move them tomorrow. We’re out $200, but at least there’s no rain forecast for tonight.

Settlement tomorrow!

Our new house

Look, rooms and doors and such!

It’s here… after deciding to sell up last year, and then not finding anywhere to buy, so then renting for 6 months, we’ve finally found our new home.

Except it needs some work. Quite a bit actually. Some of it has to be done before we move in, in 4 weeks. We will be chronicling the entire process, the first 4 hectic weeks, and the many additional projects that will continue to be done as time goes on.

We hope you enjoy it, and maybe even find it useful.